An overdue updateadmin
Though it has been a long time since our last update we’re happy to report that progress has been made; albeit much slower than we would have liked. Many projects will experience stalls with environmental, ecological, and engineering assessments however the COVID-19 pandemic has certainly been a contributing factor for contractors and consultants to be delayed further. Add in a few months of mouse plagues and this project has become a real adventure.
Weather and terrain
After several years of drought, it seems that the rain has returned with a vengeance as La Nina makes works a challenge for us. Fortunately, our main shooting activities will be located on the eastern side of the property and this is where our attention is focused to manage both the watershed and bushfire loads.
This has also meant a redesign on our entry & exit points which will now be via the north-eastern corner and so new fencing and gates have been installed.
On a positive note, the wet weather and Spring have seen the return of Kookaburras, Cockatoos, Galahs, and Eagles cruising around the property that make sure we’re up at daybreak to resume works. The odd python has also dropped by to supervise.
Regardless of the frequent thunderstorm and humid days, the work has been pressing on.
One of our goals has been to build using technology to assist visitors at any distance. Communications equipment has been installed in the long-range sections that provide coverage over the site’s 16km2 and will provide live video feeds of the targets across the venue.
In the primary focus area, we have been testing the proposed layouts with steel and paper targets for distances out to 550m (600 yards) for our first range and works are ongoing for the 1000 yard range. Standard safety templates for these ranges fit completely within the property on both these designs but we are trying baffle designs to maximize what we can use each range for.
So when can you shoot?
This is of course the $64,000 question that remains complex to answer.
Before we invite visitors we need to complete the access points for the property and complete Range 1 with amenities. If we can maintain the current momentum then we’d aim to have some “beta testers” onsite in late December & early January.
Thank you to everyone for their patience as we tackle this massive challenge.